The Office of University Counsel serves as legal advisor to the University and its various departments and oversees policy development for the University.
We provide the following legal services:
- Legal advice to university administrators and managers;
- Assistance in drafting or reviewing contracts and other legal documents;
- Assistance in drafting or reviewing university policies, guidelines and procedures;
- Representation of university units in internal administrative proceedings;
- Representation in matters pending before state and federal agencies;
- Information about legal rules being considered for adoption by the Board of Regents affecting Iowa State University;
- Assistance with securing of specialized legal expertise for university departments;
- Coordination with, and support of, the Iowa Department of Justice or private counsel handling university matters in litigation;
- Training programs related to legal issues.
The Office of University Counsel does not provide personal legal advice. Students needing personal legal advice should consult with Student Legal Services in Room B11, Memorial Union (515) 294-0978. Employees and members of the general public needing personal legal assistance may contact the Iowa State Bar Association at (515) 280-7429 in Des Moines or 1-800-532-1108 in Iowa (outside of Des Moines).
The Policy Administrator for Iowa State University oversees all aspects of the Policy Library and will answer questions about current policies and the process for adopting a policy. The Policy Administrator works closely with ISU attorneys and Area Coordinators to ensure that adoption of new policies and policy revisions comply with the applicable policies of the University and the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, as well as the Iowa Administrative Procedure Act (APA).